Franz Bischoff (1864-1929) is considered to be one of the finest early California impressionist painters, and an outstanding colorist. His free flowing brushwork calls to mind both the impressionist and post impressionist styles, and he was well known for his strong compositions. He is remembered primarily for his floral still lifes, especially his roses, but his body of work encompasses a wide variety of subjects and locations. His paintings include Southern California landscapes, Carmel coastal scenes, and beautiful vignettes of Cambria.
|"Point Lobos" (Monterey County, California) SOLD|
Born in Austria in 1864, Bischoff studied painting, design, and porcelain decoration in Vienna. He immigrated to New York in 1885, became a successful china painter, and eventually earned a reputation as “King of the Rose Painters”.
|"Rose Garden" SOLD|
He first visited California in 1900 and soon moved to Los Angeles. In 1908 he completed construction of his home in South Pasadena, built in the Italian Renaissance style. His home included a gallery, ceramic workshop, and a painting studio.
During his early years in California he began painting en plein air, creating landscapes outdoors in natural light.
|"Arroyo Seco" SOLD|
In 1912, he traveled to Europe to study the French Impressionists, and afterwards his use of color became more pronounced, dramatic, and vibrant.
|"Bush Gardens" SOLD|
Bischoff was an early member of the California Art Club, whose other members include important early California Impressionists Edgar Payne, Hanson Puthuff, and William Wendt. He was also a member of the Laguna Beach Art Association. He died in Pasadena, California on February 5th, 1929 after a long, successful career.
Visitors to the Pasadena Museum of California Art can now view a large collection of the artist’s works at the current exhibit “Gardens and Grandeur: Porcelains and Paintings by Franz A. Bischoff”. The exhibition includes early ceramic works, as well as his later canvases. The exhibition continues through March 20th, 2011. The museum is open Wednesday through Sunday 12 to 5. Call 626-568-3665 for further information. In the future, the exhibit will also travel to the Crocker Museum and the Irvine Museum.